Macro photography lenses costs above 10,000 so here is a cheap way to Convert Nikon lens into macro photography lens. Check below Photo captured using Nikon D3300 using 18-55MM lens it is Stigma of Hibiscus flower, You cannot able to capture these many details with normal 18-55MM lens so I have reversed it using reversal ring and You can see the Quality of Photo below.
Table of Contents
Lens Reverser – Convert Nikon camera lense into a cheap macro photography lens.
What is Macro photography? – Macro photography is art of making small tiny things look like life size magnification, Macro photography explores details of object that cannot be seen by normal eyes.
How to Convert Nikon lens into Macro photography lens?
I tried it with my Nikon D3300 DSLR camera & works great for me, also works with many Nikon cameras with 18-55 lens.
Step 1 – Buy a Lens reverse ring costs around 350 Indian rupees.
Buy Lense reverse Ring for Nikon mount India. (on amazon.in good quality reverse ring is not available so get it from flipkart.)
Buy Lense reverse ring in US – Amazon.com Supports Nikon D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2X, D2Hs, D2Xs, D3, D3X, D3s, D4, D100, D200, D300, D300S, D700, D800, D800E, D40, D50, D60, D70, D70S, D80, D40X, D90, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D7000, Fuji S1, S2, S3, S5.
Step 2 – Wait for delivery of Nikon reversal ring > Once received > Remove your 18-55MM lens > attach reverse ring to DSLR > Attach 18-55MM lens in reverse way refer below image for better understanding on how to reverse lens to Convert Nikon lens into macro photography lens?
Now your Nikon DSLR camera is ready to do Macro photography with Normal 18-55MM lens.
You May Like : Birds and Flowers photography using Nikon 70-300MM lens
Pro’s of Nikon lens reverse Macro photography.
- Save Money – Cheap way for Macro Photographs – as if you want to buy a moderate quality macro photography lens in-store it will cost you above 10,000 INR & Reverse ring costs 350 RS so it is an economical way.
- Works satisfactorily with nice quality pictures.
- Easy to Mount.
- Good for capturing still things ideally for Flowers.
Con’s of Nikon Lens reverse macro photography.
- Auto Mode will not work – No more auto mode you have to adjust ISO & Shutter speed manually, So this method is fully manual, Aperture priority, shutter priority, portrait mode, effects nothing will work with reverse lens technique.
- Auto Focus will not work – As with this technique camera will not detect Lens so Autofocus will not be available, Also your image clearing ring will not work you need to clear objects using a zoom ring and manually taking the whole camera reverse and forward.
- High Skill dependency – as in this method sensors, auto mode everything will be disabled automatically so the quality of the picture fully depends on your knowledge, skill, and hand stability.
- Semi suited for Insects photography – As insects fly away whenever we try to move closer to them in that case this macro photography technique is not fully suitable as you have to be near to the object and insects will fly away if you get closer.
- Still I done some insects photography by trying to move slowly while capturing.
As you can see there are some Pros of lens reverse technique another side there are lots of Cons as it becomes fully manual nd skill dependent, when I did photography using reverse ring my hand is paining too much.
Best budget macro lens for Nikon DSLR.
If you can have the budget to buy a Macro photography lens then getting one will be great, I am also willing to buy a Macro Lens for my Nikon D3300 but currently lacks budget as recently I grabbed a car, I will definitely buy one in near future. I did lots of research to find the best budget macro photography lens for Nikon DSLR and found that Nikor 40MM Micro Lens is the best budget Macro lens.
Nikon AF-S DX Micro 40mm Lense photo quality sample. This photo captured by one of lens user who posted it on amazon in his reviews.
Nikon Reverse Lens Macro photos Gallery (Macro Photography gallery).
So below all Macro photos are capture by my Nikon D3300, 18-55MM Lens, This photography technique needs high skill, and high hand stability to capture perfect shot that can be reduced if you buy dedicated Macro lens, So see reverse lens macro photography Nikon photos below, This made possible using Reverse lens ring mounting adapter, So you can adopt this cheap and economic technique of Macro photography if you don’t have budget for dedicated lens.
Hibiscus Flower Macro Photography using Nikon reverse ring lens – Photos.
Insects Photography using Nikon reverse Lense – photos.
Pink Rose flower Macro photography using 18-55MM Revers Lens in Nikon D3300.
Galata Flower / Yellow flower Macro photography using Nikon 18-55mm reverse Lens.
Other – Nikon Reverse Lens Macro photos gallery.
YouTube Video on How to convert Lens to Macro lens using reverse ring?
Also See : Ramoji film city sets Beautiful Photography.