Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Biography and History in English – Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was a great and best warrior of India who established the foundation of Maratha Empire in India. He fought with the many troops like Mughal-Empire of Aurangzeb for long years. In 1674, he was coronated in Raigad and became Chhatrapati.
Also Read – Raireshwar Fort information & History in Marathi – रायरेश्वर किल्ला The place where Shivray taken Oath of Swarajya establishment.
Table of Contents
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Biography in English.
- Name – Shivaji Bhosle
- Full Name – Shivaji Shahji Bhosale
- Date of Birth – February 19, 1630 / April 20, 1627
- Birthplace – Shivneri Durg (Pune)
- Religion – Hindu
- Father– Shahaji Bhosle
- Mother – Jijabai (Jijau)
- Wife – Saibai Nimbalkar
- Died – April 3, 1680 (at the age of 50-53)
- Place of Death – Raigad Fort – So hope this profile information is helpful now lets know detailed history and chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj biography.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj & Rise of Maratha Empire.
On April 20, 1627, Chhatrapati Shivaji was born in the fort of Shivneri near Junnar Nagar, north of Poona. The father’s name of Chhatrapati was Raje Shahaji Bhosale and chhatrapati’s mother’s name was Jijabai. Jijabai was the daughter of JadhavRao, the great Jahagirdar of Devgiri. Shahaji Bhosale had not only achieved power and prestige in Ahmednagar state but on that occasion he held a prestigious position in Bijapur state. He had gained fame in Bijapur in terms of war, governance and patronage to scholars.
Because of this Shivaji’s father was a powerful and respected feudatory, but Shahaji had married another woman named Tukabai Mohite and Jijabai lived separately from her husband with her son Shivaji, so Shivaji should not get the protection of his father. Could. But it would be a mistake to say that Shahaji had not taken care of his son at all. Shahaji had appointed a capable and loyal servant, Dadaji Kondadeo, to look after and educate Shivaji.
At the age of 12, Shivaji received the jagir of Poona from his father. In 1640 AD, at the age of 12, Shivaji was married to a girl named Saibai Nimbalkar. Shivaji made ‘Maval Pradesh’ the initial workplace of his life. Apart from this, Shahji had sent some capable officers to help his son, later also, who proved to be his assistant.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj received courage, determination, resistance to tyranny and interest in religion from his mother. His mother Jijabai had the greatest influence on Shivaji’s personality. After mother, Shivaji was influenced by his mentor and mentor
‘Dadaji Kondadeo’. He was not interested in book education, but he was always ready for war and adventure. It is fair to say that Jijabai had a huge contribution in her character building and this became one of the main reasons for her success. So lets further discuss about Life of Shivaji Maharaj and Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj biography in English.
Important Dates of Shivaji Maharaj Swarajya Movements.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Coronation | Shivaji Maharaj On June 16, 1674, Shivaji got his coronation done by the famous scholar of Kashi “Shri Gangabhatta”. He assumed the title of Chhatrapati and made Raigad his capital.
Vishweshwar alias Gangabhatta, the great scholar of that era, the knower of the Vedas and the great pandit of Banaras, considered Shivaji as a Kshatriya, told his relation to the Rajput-dynasty of Udaipur and Shivaji was coronated with great pomp according to Hindu customs. He assumed the title of ‘Chhatrapati’ and the saffron flag became his flag.
Shivaji spent a lot of money on this occasion. But there was some hindrance in this happiness after 12 days when Shivaji’s mother Jijabai died. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj History in Hindi | History of Shivaji Maharaj The original objective of Shivaji was to unite the scattered power of the Marathas and establish an independent Hindu-state in Maharashtra called Swarajya.
During the protection of Grandfather Kondadeo, Shivaji started conquering the forts around Poona. Kondadeo did not agree with this act of Shivaji, but he could not even stop Shivaji from this work. Kondadeo died in 1647 AD and Shivaji became completely independent to fulfill his goal.
By 1656 AD, Chhatrapati Shivaji had succeeded in uniting various Maratha chieftains without any major struggle, conquering various forts and capturing some part of Maharashtra and Konkan region. On January 25, 1656, Shivaji had an important victory at Jawali. Lets further know about our beloved Shivaji Maharaj Biography.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj first War with Mughals.
In April 1656, Shivaji made Raigad his capital. In 1657 AD, Shivaji fought for the first time with the Mughals. Aurangzeb, the Subedar of the South, attacked Bijapur and Bijapur sought help from Shivaji. Realizing that it was necessary to stop the growing power of the Mughals in the south. Aurangzeb was badly defeated in this war.
Forgetting the favors of Bijapur Shivaji Maharaj, he was ready to suppress Shivaji. In 1659, the Bijapur-state sent one of its eminent chieftains, Afzal Khan, to imprison or kill Shivaji. When Shivaji came to know about this, he killed Afzal Khan to defend himself.
In 1660 AD, the Mughal-subedar Shaista Khan was ordered to eliminate Shivaji. He made a plan to eliminate Shivaji by joining Bijapur-state and succeeded in snatching Poona, Chakan and Kalyan from Shivaji.
In 1663 AD, Shaista Khan planned to spend the rains in Poona. Then Shivaji entered Poona with his 400 brave soldiers and succeeded in attacking. Shaista Khan was frightened by this sudden attack and ran away. Although Shivaji only succeeded in
cutting off his thumb, his attack was very successful. His courage was bigger than anything so we wrote in detail about Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Biography in English.
Treaty of Purandar – History of loosing 23 forts.
In 1665 AD, Aurangzeb sent Raja Jai Singh against Shivaji. Raja Jai Singh was worthy of his time. He was a general and a diplomat. Jai Singh lured the chieftains of Bajipur and Shivaji and took them with him. After making full preparations, Jai Singh attacked Shivaji, after conquering Vajragarh, Jai Singh surrounded Shivaji in the fort of Purandar. In the end, Shivaji surrendered because of not being able to protect and gave 23 forts and land of 4 lakh Huns to the Mughals.
In 1670 AD, Shivaji again started the war with the Mughals. Shivaji re-conquered many of his forts lost by the Treaty of Purandar. At the same time Tanaji won the fort of Kondhana with his courage, which Shivaji named Sinhagad. In 1672 AD, Marathas also fought with Bijapur and Marathas attacked Panhala. The Marathas also conquered the forts of Panhala, Parli and Satara. Thus, within a few years, Shivaji succeeded in conquering many forts and territories of the Mughals and Bijapur. This event has very much importance in swarajya movement so We have added it in our post about Shivaji Maharaj Biography in English.
Coin issued by Shivaji Maharaj – Shivaji Maharaj Rajmudra.
Shivaji took the title of Chhatrapati for the second time on October 4, 1674, due to the death of his mother, 12 days after the coronation of Shivaji Maharaj. The announcement of the establishment of Hindu Swaraj was made in this ceremony. This was the first Hindu kingdom in the south after the fall of Vijayanagara. Like an sole ruler, Chhatrapati got his name on coin. Shivaji Maharaj Rajmudra. He was a greatest King ever so we wrote detailed on Shivaji Maharaj Biography.
Death of Shivaji Maharaj.
In his last days, Shivaji once again assisted Bijapur against the Mughals. But now the last time of Shivaji was near. He became ill and after about 12 days of illness, Shivaji died on April 14, 1680 at the age of 53. Shivaji Maharaj constantly fought against the Bijapur state and the growing power of the Mughals to the south. He got success in this struggle. By the time of his death, he had
built a large and independent kingdom. After Shivaji Maharaj his beloved son Sambhaji Raje took oath as Chhatrapati.
Facts related to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Shivaji Maharaj was the first Chhatrapati.
- Shivaji Mahotsav was established in 1895 AD.
- The festival of Ganesh Chaturthi was first started in Maharashtra by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Shivaji used to take the help of diplomacy considering Shukracharya and Kautilya as ideals.
- Shivaji Maharaj revived ancient Hindu political practices and courtly etiquette and
- He Replaced Persian with Marathi and Sanskrit as the official language. We wrote in detail on Shivaji Maharaj Biography in English because he is the reason of we being Hindu, We being Indian, Otherwise Mughals may converted whole India into Islamic country.
Major Dates and Events in Life of Shivaji Maharaj.
- 1594: Birth of Shahaji Bhonsle, father of Shivaji
- 1596: Birth of Mother Jijabai
- February 19, 1630: Birth of Shivaji
- Famine in Maharashtra from 1630 to 1631
- 14 May 1640: Marriage of Chatrapati Shivaji to Ku. Saibai.
- 1646: Shivaji captured Torna Fort near Pune
- 1656: Shivaji conquers Jawali from Chandrarao More
- November 10, 1659: Afzal Khan was killed by Shivaji.
- 1659: Shivaji captured Bijapur
- 6th to 10th January, 1664: Shivaji raided Surat and got a lot of wealth
- 1665: Shivaji signs the Purandhar Peace Treaty with Aurangzeb
- 1666: Shivaji escapes from Agra prison
- 1667: Aurangzeb grants the title to King Shivaji. He has got the right to levy tax
- 1668: Peace treaty between Shivaji and Aurangzeb
- 1670: Chhatrapati Shivaji were attacked at Surat for the second time in small time.
- 1674: Shivaji assumed the title of ‘Chhatrapati’ in Raigad. Jijabai died on 18th June
- 1680: Death of Shivaji – So these were important happenings in Life of our God Shivaji so we mentioned these important events in Shivaji Maharaj Biography post. Hope you loved this article. Let us know in Comments section.
tags – Who was first Chhatrapati of India?, Shivaji Maharaj Wife, Shivaji Maharaj Height, Weight, Father name, Mother name, Shivaji Maharaj Birth date and Death date, Swarajya Movement, Hindavi Swarajya, Treaty of Purandar, Shivaji Maharaj Information in English.
You may like – Pratapgad Fort Information & History in Marathi