Global climate change poses a severe problem for civilizations and the environment, and trees have played a significant role. Tropical deforestation and forest degradation is the major cause of global emissions, and forests are crucial to the global carbon cycle. In addition to helping to store carbon in soils, forests collect and store co2 in living biomass.
SDG 13 climate action targets focus on tackling climate change. According to the most current progress report on SDG 13, higher greenhouse gas concentrations have caused global temperatures to rise by 1.1°C over pre-industrial levels, with more expensive extreme weather events as well as rising sea levels. Therefore, immediate action is needed to cut pollution and prepare for climate change, and forests can be immensely helpful.
Targets and Potential Effects
The possible effects of climate change are the main emphasis of this target. This can be accomplished by developing resilience to more persistent, long-term stresses brought on by climate change or by implementing national and local initiatives to reduce disaster risk.
Forests might have a significant impact. In times of stress, well-managed forests can function as important safety nets for residents, supplying extra food sources when agriculture or pastures suffer due to droughts, fires, pests, or the effects of extreme weather events. They can also lower the risk of flooding or landslides. Some of the SDG13 climate action targets include.
- Boost global adaptability and resistance to climate-related dangers and natural disasters.
- Include mitigation measures related to climate change in strategy, national planning, and policies.
- Enhance climate change education, awareness-raising, and the institutional and human capacity for impact reduction, early warning, and adaptation.
- Encourage measures to improve the ability of least developed and small island nations to effectively plan to manage climate change, emphasizing women, youth, and local and marginalized populations.
Significant Impacts of Climate Change
The severe effects of climate change, such as altered weather patterns, increasing sea levels, as well as more extreme weather events, are already being felt by people.
Human-induced greenhouse gas emissions are the key cause of climate change and are still increasing. Without action, it is expected that global warming will persist into the twenty-first century, with certain parts of the world experiencing far more warming.
Space technology is crucial to:
- climate change surveillance
- weather prediction
- disaster preparedness
- Rescue and search operations
Habits to Adopt SDG 13 Climate Action Targets
There are many habits an individual can adopt to gain a sustainable lifestyle. One can easily follow some simple steps to adopt the habit of sustainability and achieve SDG 13 climate action target, and the steps are as follows:
- Find a charity that supports Goal 13, irrespective of the amount.
- Recycle outdated electronics, paper, glass, plastic, and metal.
- Use of Compost: food scrap composting can recycle nutrients while reducing the impact on the environment.
- Select recyclable items: Reduce the amount of plastic by using reusable water bottles or cups and eco-bags when individuals go shopping.
- Purchase green stuff: To determine whether a product was made environmentally friendly, look at the packaging.
- Reduce the meat intake and switch to a weekly vegetarian day. The production of meat has a significant negative influence on the environment.
Implementing SDG 13 Climate Action Targets
It is particularly important to know the present scenario of the climate. And that information can solve various environmental-related problems. SDG 13 climate action targets deal with such problems.
With the assistance of science and technology, scientists are creating environmentally friendly, “climate-smart” agricultural practices to maximize food production in extreme climate conditions like drought and elevated temperatures while conserving and protecting natural resources, including soil and water.
One can have lots of information from the designated websites, and for further knowledge and information, one can consult with an expert for assistance and guidance.